Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Typhoon warning!


Even the lockers have the wave printed on them!
It is certainly blowing outside, and plenty of people have mentioned it, hm, lets see if it's fear-mongering, or actual...I have my first Ikebana class tomorrow, so I am hoping it's not too drastic, or how will I get my masterpiece home?
I have had a wonderful day, was fearing it but it went so well. First had my English class in Shinjuku's Tokyo Gov't offices. Shinjuku is enormous, the station vast, with so many people and such extreme pedestrian traffic, but I knew the signs, and found this incredible moving walkway, as the office is 2km from the station. Anyway, I had some music on my Ipod (not Elton for once), and steaming along this really bouncy travellator, so high tech, and cool, I had such a grin on my face, I was moving FAST, so that was a buzz. Plus as it was poring, it saved me from wet feet. I arrived ten minutes early, and went up to the 16th Floor. There are no signs in English, and basically miles of these shiny very beige hallways, with an occasional door, but completely impersonal and innocuous, and I waited, where I thought I should wait, till right on the dot of midday, and the people from my class started to arrive. I was shitting myself that I'd screwed up, but it was fine. I was asked to talk about myself, so an hour went past very quickly!
Then I raced over to Shinagawa station, another gigantic train stop, where I met up with Owen Leong (Aus video artist) and three of his mates from Tokyo Wonder Site. We went to the Hara Museum, a beautiful space, with a lovely garden, and some great art. I really enjoyed going there and hanging out with the boys, and just talking about it all.
Then I had to get back to the Government office for this mysterious party I had been invited to, and I was pushing time to get there on time. A Goffman can really hustle, if need be, I thought I'd had it figured out, where the travellator was, but couldn't find it, but of course I got there via another vast underground system, and it was fine.
Because of the rains a giant homeless city had been built, or maybe it's always there, all lined up mats, and tidy folded bedding and bags. Very civilised, except the bright lights, cold, no toilets, or any other amenities...
We went up to the 32nd floor, where the cafeteria is, but at night it gets converted into a restaurant. Tamio had booked a table near the window, and there were only 6 of us, but that was a good number. They brought this strange contraption and placed it on the window sill, I said 'oh, hot pot?', and Tamio grins widely, 'No, tower of beer'. And indeed, a 4 liter glass tube of beer is then carried by this woman (in a most unwieldly fashion), and places ceremoniously on the rubber tripod.
They ordered all sorts of beautiful tasty things to eat, including french fries, cheese and pizza, but I stuck to the more Japanese dishes, and the tower was soon empty, along with a few pitchers, and some glasses. They delighted in getting me some cold tofu and insisted I eat it all. No problem, it was delicious, with some bonito flakes, ginger, shallots and soy...heaven.
Such funny conversation, I had more than a few flashes of "Lost in Translation". I am half deaf as it is, and things got pretty rollicking up there on the 32nd floor after dark, and when I can't hear the 'r' in words, I don't know what they mean! But it was all good.
Came back to Takadanobaba, enjoying the beer and food I'd consumed, and the neon in the rain is just so unbelievable. I feel enchanted, and like it's all this amazing dream which will be over too soon.

1 comment:

  1. sarah you look gorgeous that flowery open top thing is beautiful - tokyo suits you Elvis xxxx

    ReplyDelete