Thursday, October 15, 2009

Floating ghost must have entered me today






Fish food vending machine, sacred fish, a few rocks being perfect, and a few bonsai plants.
I had meant to just go to the museum of modern art in Takebashi, and the Craft gallery nearby that had been closed the other day, as it was so easy to get to, and I knew it would be open ('cos I checked!), and then come straight home. But I had some extra lightness in my step, maybe as the weather is cooler, but I was just streaming along, walking so effortlessly, after the most disappointing galleries I have seen as yet, I found myself in a huge park with wonder of wondrous nature all around me.
I kept going further away from where I had started, and it was great, I was in this huge park, next to a river pretty much on my own, and found a huge judo stadium, and the biggest steel temple gates I have seen as yet, immense, and the further I went the more spirited away it got. I am not kidding!
I began to feel hungry and there was an eatery with all old laminex tables and little stools that were so worn, I thought, the food must be good, if the stools are so worn. It was very spartan, and no menu in English, so I just asked for a fish soup, and he held up a tempura piece of fish so that seemed fine with me. I sat down and he brought me a tray with these wonderful green noodles and a broth I dream of making. It was the very first piece of tempura I have eaten here yet, I love it too much, and although I have eaten the other fried stuff, I have been scared of my appetite and it's many extensions. But this was sublime, all getting soaked in the broth, and turning into a thin dumpling, with just a crisp on the top...yum! Seaweed, shallots, a piece of pink and white stuff and an enormous tempura prawn, even though he had held up a fish. I wasn't worried, it was the most elegant meal I had ever eaten, and I felt so replete and fortified.
I kept on gliding, with new vengeance now, as it was late afternoon, and I felt like I wanted more and more. I got it.
There were vast wooden structures and spacious special buildings, I didn't know what they were for or anything, I am a twit, but I just wandered along, agog. One seemed like it was just a house for shoes. There was a big chrysanthemum display and also bonsais. I love that stuff, and was just so taken. The gravel was somehow not entering my shoes, I tell you, I was floating! (What I like about the gravel is that you can hear someone approaching.)
Behind this most beautiful of chrysanthemum temples was a garden like in the movies, that's as well as I can describe it, this enchanted grotto, with ponds, and slabs of stone paths, placed with such elegance and care, and little buildings, and many slab bridges, that went around, and toward a valley of rocks, I just couldn't believe my eyes, every step I took was bringing me more visual delight than I had ever had. THIS was what I came to Japan for, my true love! The careful placement of rocks is a very fine art. I am most interested in this, it seems so essential and getting it right, is paramount. Having sympathy with the singular stone is important, but in collaboration with what is around each one is just as important. I know it sounds like bullshit, but I am so into placement! No rock wobbled or was out of place. I have noticed that on footpaths throughout my month uneven surfaces exist. It seems like it is intentionally conceived that way. Maybe for the visually impaired, who I have noticed a number of. They don't have guide dogs here, (or I am yet to see one), it's just using a white stick...but the utility of the raised surfaces may also help with the all important drainage and slippage, and it serves to make one have to lift their feet just that little bit more to prevent stumbling.
I stopped in a little hut overlooking the water as it seemed there were more carp here to watch, and a fellow came up and started feeding the fish. I hadn't seen that he was throwing pellets, I was just trying to get a good photograph of the fish in the evening light, but I heard the noise they were making as they were thrashing around, and gulping at the surface in the most liquid manner, slurping and sucking, the water was boiling and seething. I turned around and he was smiling, and I took a bunch of photos. He showed me the "secret hidden vending machine" with food for the fish, and gave me some pellets. I was laughing because there were like 100 fish there, and you could see ones in the distance hurriedly hoisting themselves over as the tucker was on. So funny.
He said they were sacred to the temple, and only the best fish were chosen. Some were 20 years old, and massive.
I had found the delight I sought, and all felt good. I will have to come back to this garden, it was so remarkable, there were sword makers, and a tea house, and people in kimonos and robes, oh it was the most beautiful place I have ever seen!!!
Got the train home and it was 8:30, I had been out all day! I was passing the stand-up sushi place on the way, and I thought, hm, back in Australia I would be hard pressed finding a treasure like this. So I went in and and ate some raw things that tasted like they had only been swimming yesterday. Lots of ginger, a huge pat of wasabi and 2 green teas, for less than $20. Cool jazz playing, happiness.
I feel so fortunate. Thank you Australia Council.

4 comments:

  1. Another post of wonder!
    It gives me a thrill reading how excited you are.
    Wish you were here to help mark the half way point of the Year of Denim in 2 wwkes.
    Was uinna rock Echo point karaoke again.
    I'll sing "iam the Walrus" in your memory.
    JPolk

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just another thing... I was web surfing at work, bored partially brain dead and came across this story about a Japanese TV show called "Panic Face King".
    In this particular hilarious(!!) candid camera sequence a man is hanging out with some colleagues when a sniper 'kills' his 3 mates.
    An the audience laughs themselves ridiculous...
    Check it out, Freakin freaky.
    http://www.break.com/index/terrifying-sniper-prank-on-japanese-tv.html
    Love JPOLK anonymously commenting to the max....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the walrus! Googoo magoo. What a song! Could do with some karaoke right now!
    You want happiness, feel my pulse right now, I might have a heart attack I am so in ecstasy!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched that clip as well, its nuts. I saw another where this family told their little kids a zombie was coming, and the kids were left to fight it. Terrifying child abuse. I couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete