Sunday, October 11, 2009

Edibility in Ikebukuro





Went to a festival in Ikebukuro, an area very close by. Was concerned about finding the goings-ons, but needn't of, because immediately on ascending the escalator out of the station I was assailed by this blast of pumped up old tunes, synthesised with big techno beat and really really loud. There were flags the size of buildings being skillfully handled, in fact everything I saw today was in order.
There were thousands of performing troupes, literally, in the best costumes everywhere I looked, and all around me performances happening simultaneously for about 4 city blocks. I kept on going and there was more, an absolute cacophony of sounds, and sights, non-stop hurly burly! I didn't know where to look, I took about 200 photos! It was amazing, the shows. I loved the flag twirling, and when the flag passed me whipping in the breeze and rippling it was so very beautiful and moving, yes, it made me cry. I wasn't the only one either, the music was so emotional, it was this tear jerking beauty. Wow.
Then came the stalls selling all sorts of delights...I ate some round blobby things with mustard on a stick, then some bigger round blobs that had been smoked in soya sauce, with seaweed, also on a stick. I couldn't resist a perfect rectangle of ham smoked in teriyaki on a stick, and then came the meat, I think it was deer cubes on a stick, super yum.
I drank cold mulberry tea and felt the fresh silk 'cotton wool' they sell to cleanse your delicate skin with and played with the wooden clappy sticks all the performers had. Rich rich rich.
I noticed a giant building near one of the stages, and it was the Metropolitan Arts Centre, so I went in there for a gander and rode the most gigantic suspended escalator I have ever been on. It was stuff from my nightmares, but I did it! Upstairs was a big quilter's show, not my thing but still impressive. All that mattered were the performers who were everywhere, in their beautiful costumes, wandering around in big groups, eating drinking and enjoying the outing. I couldn't believe the synchrony when they were performing. This was no casual show. Every one of them, from kids as young as 5 taking it very seriously, having practiced a lot. When the show starts the smiles come on and it was all go.
What a day! I got propositioned by a very strange looking man, who might've been drunk, but I got away from him as fast as possible. I got very rudely shoved (or she tried to shove me, but me don't move), but it hurt. Oh well.
Ikebukuro was the first area I have been in with a red light district and I went past a few sex clubs, with "Japanese only" signs. One place was called "VIOLENCE". Some of them had funny glittering doorways, really narrow, with screens, so you could duck in and be hidden immediately. One place I could just see into had little booths and a picture of a dolphin outside, I hate to think of what went on in there! One tout saw me taking photos, and I thought, 'so what'. There were thousands of people around, photographing everything everywhere, I was just one of many.
Came home very foot sore, and ate big slabs of raw tuna and shredded daikon with wasabi, ginger and soya sauce, and a huge green tea. Felt very replete.

No comments:

Post a Comment