Monday, October 5, 2009

Asakusa rocks







I wasn't prepared for it, but was very pleasantly surprised. I got out at the station and went through a department store basement, it was pre-lunchtime, and I was in the prepared food hall. Let me tell you, nothing in Australia compares to this, its just gigantic, full of the most impeccably prepared foods, and many many things I have never had the pleasure of eating. They were giving away samples and very friendly so I had pickled baby eggplant, and turnip and some dumplings and bits of dark coloured things that tasted so good, and I tried to get him to tell me what it was and he kept gesturing towards my stomach, and I couldn't tell if he was insulting me or what! It was so much fun, I felt like I'd had enough adventure to last me a lifetime, without leaving the shop!
Then I went outside and wow, millions of stalls selling the real touristy stuff, but I don't care, I love; kimonos and all the fabrics, origami papers, anything Hokusai, porcelain ware, rice crackers, laquerware, the cute thongs, the cute things you hang on your phone, the fans, the toys, the miniature models of everything, the hankies, the stuffed toys, the biscuit shops...everything. And it went on for miles. I just wandered, not buying anything till I came to a rice crispie shop where they were demonstrating their skill at making the yummy sweets rice crispy bars, I forget what they are called but I had to buy them, so good! And so lightweight, they can't possibly be fattening.
Went to a sushi bar for lunch and ate 6 plates, watching the chef do his work with his eyes closed. So fresh, so good, I am crazy for it. Ginger, wasabi. raw raw raw!!! And it was cheap, I was stuffed.
Then it started to rain and I was at the point of going home, till I noticed a big gate. OMG this huge famous-as shrine, I don't know what is wrong with me, but I am lucky I have eyes, or I wouldn't get anywhere, the biggest pagoda I have ever seen, and lanterns, and buddhas and all real. How can I express my love for this stuff, those roofs, tiered up like that, so ornate, they fill me with joy. There were lots of people and noise, as one temple was being re-furbished, and I just stayed still taking it all in.
Its funny how I will see a group of tourists somewhere and then keep seeing them around, I am so familiar with Western faces, they stand out to me. I still avert my eyes though. I am not going to go up to them, and say 'hey where are you from'. I guess my years in Vienna prepared me for the cool and unobtrusive stance. No assumptions!
Pleased as pie I then came home fully soaked, but happy. In the elevator on the way up an American man asked me if I lived here, and I said no just staying. He was very friendly and said he was just staying also.
I really felt my fortune today, the fortune to travel, my early education and my dear friends back home and my family in Europe. Many people I meet have never left their home country and thats ok, but for me, being able to travel is the singular most fantastic thing I think there is to do...seeing how other people live and survive, and what their pre-occupations are.
By no means is everyone here wealthy, I have turned some corners and come across very humble dwellings and there are homeless people about, with their tidy trolleys. I noticed a homeless guy near the station smoking and he had a little ashtray to put his butts in. I am proud to say I have not thrown away a single butt here, and shan't ever do it again anywhere, its about taking personal responsibility. Same with the umbrella bags they provide everywhere, I object to more bags, yes, but if everyone carried their dripping brollies the floors would be soaked.



No comments:

Post a Comment