Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Two nights in a row of partying hard




Dancing in the dark, under the big trees
Feeling delicate now, not like a cherry blossom tree, more like a big bumbling sore footed bozo. Oh well, we had a good night, I am just paying for it I suppose.
Went to the cemetery yesterday, that's all I could think about all day, and I was so anxious and nervous before going, I thought, what if they aren't there, what if I can't find them, what if last week was a fluke...all what ifs.
Of course I found them, my nature lovers in the park, and will go back Friday to document the site that they dance, they showed me the site and the ruins of a large temple that had burnt down there.
A new woman, who's name escaped me came along as well, adding another note to the foursome. Morita Yasuaki (Morisan) is the choreographer, and Izumi Murata was there last week.
Last night I danced with them, in a bumbling insecure and very nervous way. My body...alone I dance, but to improvise with them, it was serious! I don't know how it appeared, but I was trying so hard, and in moments I felt bliss and beauty...it felt profound, but my self-consciousness prevailed, and I couldn't let myself go to the extent my heart was telling me to. I was trying to be subtle and contained, which is hardly my nature.
I quizzed Morisan about the elements of the work, and understand it involves Time, and the Body, in time. Quite Zen, in it's relationship with nature, and honouring that...it is a connection, and each performer tells their own story. I am so inept at transcribing other people's words, I am sorry.
We went to dinner at the same restaurant, and for the second night in a row I drank shochu, but this time watered down in a big glass of ice. I loved the curious tasting 'natto', that everyone has told me about. It is some fermented bean dish, and when you lift it, these delicate whispy strands fall from it. Never had anything like it, but I liked it.
We had a harder time communicating this time, but shall persevere. Izumi showed me her art work, and you won't believe it, but years ago we both did the same exact thing. In a performance, we both had inflated pillows under our clothes that we deflated. She is a fascinating person.
Below, Morisan, dinner and Hiharu Nomura.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of dancing are you/ they doing?
    It sounds so intriguing. And aren't you amazing meeting lll those different people just by wandering around?
    You are a brave lady!
    jamP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ecstastic lady. Nothing beats adventure.

    ReplyDelete