Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Moon.


Read an entire book last night, I needed some English narrative. "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, it was on the shelf and provided just the escape I was looking for. Had funny dreams but woke up fine and 'seized the day'. The tatami mats show dust and hair especially so I made busy and got the house and myself sorted before heading for a Lion festival in Numabukuro at the Hikawa shrine. I had assumed, yet again that it would be right next to the station. I had my map and even though it wasn't on there, I wasn't going to be deterred. The policeman's box gave me directions and I was on my way. I found it, by hearing the drumming and flute playing, and when I turned the corner the portable shrine carriers were in full swing. The men really do where the g-string nappies, and I saw a lot of butt cheeks. I also saw but couldn't get a photo of a man with strings around his ankles. What does that mean or do?
The shrine grounds were filled with stalls selling all manner of delights. I had a wheat pancake with cabbage and rice crispies in it. Delicious. I got to use a brush to wipe on the sweet soya sauce, and squirted my own mayonnaise design. Watched some very repetitive dance performance and wandered happily. Lots of kid's stalls with all fun things to do and play with. Except I did not like the toy guns for sale, these seemed the most poular. In the rear of the temple was a tent to eat in, and I sat happily there with my pancake, and met two older tiny women who shook my hand and couldn't get over how big my hand was, and it was as big as theirs were small. Behind me, to my delight was a hall where calligraphers were sitting, painting. Oh wow, to see them doing the real do, how incredible. I try sitting cross legged for 10 minutes and I have to move around! They were smoking as well, with big glass ashtrays on the bench next to their papers. I couldn't get over how good and comfortable they all looked, how very real! This was tradition.
I wandered the area which was nice and quiet. Lots of very overgrown areas, the weeds here are insane. So green and fecund, and whispy and just wild.
Felt really happy and replete, made my way home before it rained to get the futons off the balcony, made lovely cold buckwheat noodle salad and some nice green tea. Am practising kneeling. It is a clear night and I saw the moon rise out of the window.

1 comment:

  1. Loving hearing about your trip Sarah! All the description really brings it to life.

    anne x

    ReplyDelete