Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bit tired today



Can you see what I mean about the Excelsior Hotel's signage? Is it just me?


Had too much excitement yesterday I think. Hm, early night with Paul Auster book, which I am LOVING. Can't stop thinking about it! It's called Oracle Night, does anyone else read him?
Went to my little job today, I got them to talk about things they had read in the newspeper, and it went well and quickly. Then had lunch with Tamio on the 32nd floor. He is such a sweet man, he started to tell me, with this big grin on his face about a cancellation of a gig he was supposed to play, and how embarassing it was as he had already invited people. He was saying all this with such a smile, I wished I could have a party and book him in. It was sad. He also nods when he says 'no' and I find that disconcerting as well. Its so funny in the shops when the staff all greet you with this grinding moshi moshi. You don't say anything back, but they are acknowledging your presnece and theirs too I suppose. Such great tofu. The ladies told me about 'devil's tongue', which is basically a potato starch jelly that is very good for you and 'cleans you out'. So of course I had to try some, and it's pretty strange glutinous stuff. I may grow to like it.
Went to the park behind the offices and found some beautiful temples and bamboo. I tell you, the setting is amazing, in amongst these massive skyscrapers, there will be the most beautiful temple and cemetery, all tranquil and oldy-worldly, while the traffic speeds along outside. I love going in there, and experiencing the virtual quiet.
The sense of diligence was all around me today, from people waiting patiently for the elevator, to the park's greens-keepers, sweeping up the leaves with their twiggy brooms. Of course, it is autumn coming and they are fighting a losing battle, but the bare earth was covered with the squiggles of the rake like broom. Very wholesome. There were some window washers doing their work and below was a pegged off area, lest anything fell, and a guy with a helmet standing watch. There doesn't seem to be any skiving off here. In the cemetery there is a little open washroom with a sink and buckets, I have noticed this in all of them, and the collection of different brushes and sponges available for use. All different colours and very worn, but kept clean and tidily. I have never seen such civic pride anywhere. It may be an extravagant city in some regards, but in others, it just has to do with function.
I keep thinking about this older business man I saw yesterday, huddled in the bushes, hiding his cigarette. There was nowhere to smoke that I could find, and he was desperate. I am accustomed to the airport smoking hellholes that exist, but here it is almost as bad. It's weird, you can smoke in bars and restaurants, and Pachinko parlours it is almost mandatory, but on the streets, it's a big no-no. But when there is a smoking station, there are all these addicts sucking away madly, it's really depressing, rarely anywhere to sit down and these big ashtrays full of floating butts. I understand that the authorities want us to suffer, a penalty for such a filty habit...Ciggies are very cheap here, the cheapest I have ever seen, and there are a lot of smokers, I mean addicts.
Tried some ice cream tonight, yum, had a wafery one, very crispy waffle on the outside, lined with chocolate and vanilla ice cream on the inside. Good stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Mochi style ice cream, yum.
    It's got the same sens of density as my gut
    JPOLK
    Ps I have conqured this commenting! I now commwent 'annonymously'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek.
    Really should read before hitting the 'post comment' button.
    So many typos!
    JP again

    ReplyDelete