Friday, October 9, 2009

Tokyo Bay day


Bridge under construction

Didn't have a smidgin of fish yesterday, so to correct the imbalance I got up really early and made my way to the Tsujiki fish markets. I got to experience the morning crush hour, but made it intact. I was the purve rubbing up against people! Got to the markets and all I saw was uproar, many tiny vans and motorised carts, lots of furious movement, and a faint smell of fish somewhere locked in a styrofoam box. You need to get there really early to see the actual fish. I found a few sushi bars, but the good ones were packed with a queue outside not worth my while. So I just soaked in the atmosphere and wished I had brought my video camera.
I started walking up a river, the Sumida, I believe, and what do you know, a river cruise boat came in just as I approached a pontoon! They didn't speak English and I just bought a ticket for I don't know where, but I would find out! Had a terrific time on this virtually empty water bus, on the brown water of the bay, hooning along past amazing buildings, and up canals, and under bridges so low, I had to duck. I have new wrinkles from grinning so much. It was great to smell the ocean air, even though it was far away, it was still open, and briny. It was even greater to see some of the far out buildings they have here, and the engineering feats of such magnitude. It's enormity never ceases to amaze me. It was a good hour till they kicked me off, in some park, way away.
I walked through the park, which turned out to be Kasai-rinkai Koen Park. I finally discovered the flower which I have been smelling since coming to Japan, this tiny orange coloured bud which grows on bushes, and smell deliciously refreshing and beautiful. Have never seen it before, and brought some back to scatter in my Ikebana arrangement.
Found a ramen restaurant, only noodles, and it was one where you purchase a ticket form a machine first, then give it to the waitress. I guess it helps streamline things. Yummy noodles, as always. Lots of splashing and slurping! There was a big McDonalds right next door, in fact these were the only 2 restaurants I could see in the vicinity, and I noticed how many more customers chose Maccas. Sad. From the train station I could see the horrors of Disneyland in the distance, it looked exactly like Jurassic Park, with an ominous manmade volcano.
Got the train back to Tokyo, over these vast railway bridges suspended over the river, cool! And then I truly alighted in Tokyo station for my very first time. I think Tokyo is actually one big station, 'cos I walked about 2km underground (all on the joyous travellators), and never saw anything else. Only about 1 million people...I was just grinning the whole way, it makes my scalp tingle from thinking about it!
Was exhausted when I got back to Taka. and went for an espresso up the road. I have become fond of the coffee shop, and decaf doesn't exist here, but these guys make a mean espresso, and it feels like a bit of home whenever I drink one. Did some shopping and came home and cooked. I had canned tuna!
Each week I have soaked and cooked a different variety of beans. I don't know what sort they are, but you can get a big bag, and they don't cost very much and make a great dish accompanying all sorts of things.
So the weekend is upon me, and I have been looking at some festivals to entertain myself with, and dear Owen has asked me to another opening tomorrow night, lets hope I make it there!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Glad to see you hooked up with Owen. The cold tofu dish is called hiyayako.Cant wait for you to get to Kyoto especially when you see the traditional indigo fabrics.http://blog.sweetgeorgiayarns.com/2008/11/indigo-dyeing-in-kyoto/

    cheers jd xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that indigo dyeing, it's so extremely beautiful! Thanks for the links John.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete