Monday, October 19, 2009

Strange old day, but super as well

I had planned to do some video shooting today, and pursued that for a short time, but when the train pulled into Shinanomachi I thought I recognised the name from somewhere. I was wrong. It wasn't too bad, stumbled on a 1920's Memorial Picture Gallery that hadn't been bombed, and the bonus was they had the Meiji Emperor's horse stuffed in a cabinet right there, with the skelton in a cabinet facing it! I hadn't been to such a gallery before, and it's formality and quiet was very interesting. The displays here are so stodgy, all under glass, in cabinets hermetically sealed. But this was reverent stuff, and there were carved wood panels holding the paintings. I wandered into the basement, and once again was totally blown away by these intricate rooms with tatami mats and stone paths, all very old world tradition in the basement of a building. I don't know, I simply adore the feeling of complete and utter baffling incomprehension. It's so unusual.
Walked far and wide, finding a stadium and finally a wedding center, which I thought was the Akasaka Imperial Palace, but was actually a gigantic function's center! It was funny, as I got sheparded in through the front entrance, 'cos I'm a gaijin, and must belong there! I found a smoking area in this peach and pink palisade, facing a courtyard garden, surrounded by tinkling music and tea drinking on the balcony. Some old lookng traditinal buldings, and all this terrible piped music. Never have I seen such immaculate lawns and gardens, even birds were scared to land there. I finally got the nerve up to ask an official what this place was and he told me. My daftness knows no bounds.
Came home and relaxed. The phone went after 8 pm, and it was a fellow who'd gotten my number through Sean Cordeiro, who'd been here years ago. We made a date and met for drinks in Shinjuku.
I hadn't spent much evening time in that part, and was flabbergasted at the energy there. I can only say, if you have the money to come here, it is necessary to go there and see. It must be one of the wonders of the world! Mohan, an American lawyer, who had lived here for 5 years took me to an area that is just dozens of solid bars, tiny little ones that just fit a few people. It felt so like Melbourne!
He speaks Japanese, which is perfect, and we had some beautful beers and a bit of food, and this wonderful alcohol; shochu. A bit like schnapps. Well I love those clear spirits, and here you get a big tumbler full.
Hm. We only went to 2 places, but they both had tremendous ambience, and one had a sweet cat, in fact it was called "Pussyfoot".
Such a lovely surprising night, when I hadn't had anything planned, to spend with a nice gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment