Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Revelatory beauty today



YES
Such beauty I was struck into stillness.
I could not move.
"No Photographs", but they didn't say, "No loitering", or "No drawing" and "No writing", so I did just that.
I stood in the Kiyomizu Kannon-Do temple, built in 1694.
I have never seen such a wondrous place, lacquered ceilings, open to the breeze, paintings, offerings objects, decorations, candles, inner and outer spaces...trinkets and statues, books, and framed leaves, a gold floating altar, layers of paper and cloth and matting, special and perfectly placed. I mean perfectly. It resonated so strongly in me, I can't express it. I think it was the perfect pyramid of apples on the altar, it reminded me so much of what I had been doing for so many years, and here was the source. A priest noticed me and when I commented on the beauty he did a deep, handsome bow, and put his hands together, I was overcome by it all and could barely look at him, he was so beautiful and humble. I noticed a Hiroshige print over the counter, of the place, and I had bought the same print since arriving in Japan, it is so perfect I wasn't able to send it to anyone. It might get damaged!
I stood in there for half an hour, enjoying the breeze and the fluttering light. I am not a religious person, but I am devoted to the peace that being in spiritual places offers me.
I am replete. This place is just incessant with it's offerings.
I stopped in the park and heard some marimba music playing, which I usually detest, but this troupe had some tricks up their sleeve; Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass hits. I'm a sucker for the old Herb, and sat down on the kerb, only to be delighted further by a yellow balloon trick.
Walked down to where I could see the gates of another shrine, and it was deserted but for a lonely gardener doing his duties. I wandered from one area to another marvelling.
kept going down the path and noticed a park across the road, with a big lake full of giant human sized lotus stalks. And another shrine, in fact more than one, but I was getting overwhelmed. Watched the birds and fish for a while, enjoying the pleasure people had in feeding them. Stumbled on a flea market by the side of the river which was so great I couldn't take it all in, then reached overload.
Had a couple of hours to kill before my Yanaka club meeting so I went over there and rested in the cemetery on a grave. The stars were out and the new moon has risen, so I could see my way around easily. I just stretched and listened to music, and let the day pass through me. Existence, you can't slow it down or make it go faster, it just passes. All you have are the memories and the possibility for a warm future. So enjoyed feeling invisible and inconsequential in the middle of that ancient place, it was profound. There is no-one around after dark, so no-one minds if you lie down or do a dance. Speaking out loud is expected of you, and singing is great but I resisted coo-eeing.
Found my dance club, this time they did duets and solos. Very special, exploring time/space/process. I ran out of film just before their ending. Last time it was the batteries that let me down! I love having a job to do, and there I go being incompetent! But its fine, it means I can concentrate on their culminating moments with more intensity and enjoy that.
Then we went for deep fried kushiage. A sequence of mushrooms, onion, eggplant, wieners!, pork, konnyakyu and bloody blue box cheddar cheese come on a skewer, you dip it once in the bath of soy sauce, and have some fresh crunchy cabbage with it. Delish! Drank shochu and Hoppy, which seems like a non-alcoholic hops based drink. So complicated the processes here, I am glad they do all the ordering and tell me whats what.
Late home and smile on my dial. Fifi comes tomorrow night, and it seems I am set to host a Saturday event/party for the Yanaka family to meet her at my place. Izumi is bringing a tea set and is going to teach me tea ceremony! Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment