Saturday, October 10, 2009

3 weeks


Yuki Kimura at TIG

Owen Leong over the grill

I cannot believe it is only 3 weeks, it feels like years! I dream at night of life in Oz, such vivid dreams, it is quite disconcerting to wake up and see Japan from the window. But pleasing as well.
I found that I have been using the free train map made by Japan Rail which only lists some of the train lines on it, no wonder I was so confused by the business! Today I had a comprehensive map, and I realised just how mega complex the subways plus all the other lines were. I saw that I had been taking much longer more roundabout routes than need be, for not checking the subway guide as well. Yesterday I got well and truly lost, I am so sure it's 'just up the road', but the roads go on for many miles! Oh well, I still get to see great things, and I love seeing everyday life for locals.
I had been to a police box and got pointed in the right direction, but it had gotten dark, and there was no end in sight so I asked a couple of people. Finally one knew where it was, and he got off his bike and walked me there, such a sweetie.
People don't always look very friendly, but once you ask them something and engage with them, it's like their heart comes out. and 9/10 will go to extreme lengths to help. I have asked some people for directions, and their English hasn't been too good, but they look like they are going to cry from the strain of wanting to help.
The galleries were in a big warehouse, opposite a giant apricot coloured concrete works. Cool industrial. There were 3 floors, and about 5 openings, but only one was worth my while, a beautiful woman; Yuki Kimura. I understood and identified with the work very much. I met a few people who gave me their business cards, and one really nce galleryist, but mainly I just loitered, people watching in such a perverted way, listening in on conversations and the suchlike. There were quite a few Westerners and they stick out like a bunch of weirdoes, myself included! Fascinating. There was Aussie red wine, and I only drank one glass, but it was like whiskey! I got so drunk! I haven't had a single wine since being here and had forgotten how potent a drink it is for me...
The people I was meant to meet were late showing up, and I was so prepared to split, but did not want to spend the evening alone, so I waited and they finally came. We went to an okonamaki place (Japanese pancake) afterwards, one woman who was with us from Tokyo Wonder site, very nice and able to do the ordering and most of the cooking, bless her, even though she didn't want to! A Dutch architect, Owen Leong, Dinh Q Le and Angel Nunez. It was a sit on the floor place, and quite cramped, a few times I thought my body would just explode from the tininess! They gave us plastic bags to put our jackets in, as it gets very steamy with all the grilling on the table. Funny, its the sense of order and consideration that I notice everywhere. There was cool jazz music playing and when I went to the toilet, it was so beautiful, this amazing wallpaper and flowers in the sink, and they have special slippers for guests to wear, just for the toilet! We had a fine time cooking our own damn food, which was totally delicious, and drinking a lot of sake. Two of the guys were real history buffs, and they just argued while I watched the gorgeous young waiter and the other patrons, concentrating on the sake, so pure and nice to drink, like kirsch, but not as harsh, and not letting my feet go to sleep. We went quite late, and nearly missed the last train home. Its funny here, the trains finish running mostly at midnight! I was a bit pissed and when I went to make my last connection, I went in the wrong direction. Luckily I realised my mistake, and just got the very last train.
(I know, boring, but in a strange city, scary!)
I am off today to Ikebukuro, for some more dancing in the streets. What sights await me? Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment