Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Living it up

It took me a few hours to get on here today, as the browser is in Japanese and I just couldn't get in, but here I am now, and all is good. A very old friend, Fiona, arrived from Australia tonight and we have already gone and sampled some boozy bars up the road that I have had my eye on. The fellow who runs the place has seen me a few times and we have said hello, so we went there, and had a lovely drink and some olives. He had a Cat Empire cd he was thrilled about, and I suspect I know who gave it to him...Sean? It is a Spanish bar, and all the clients greeted us in a friendly fashion. Very smiley, and outgoing, but it is late in the evening. So happy she arrived safely, and now I have someone who knows me who can share the bounty!
Yay!
Looking forward to the next week of fun, and excitement. Have a few ideas in mind!
So I shan't be blogging as much...too much real life now.
Today I went to the Suntory Museum and saw a paper exhibition that blew me away...oh paper, such a delicate and integral substance in the world, made with such art and care. Some of the scrolls were fascinating. All of them were incredibly beautiful, but there were some stencils on brown paper that I have never seen the likes of and am still reeling from the amazingness. So delicate, yet strong. At the end of the show you could feel samples of the papers and I had no idea how thin many of the papers are. But they last hundreds if not thousands of years.
One thing I have noticed in galleries is the best pieces often have a crowd around them. You have to bide your time till you can get in and have a looksy. In all my life I have haunted galleries and the like but I have never seen people so possessed by beauty and an extreme commitment to studying it up close and at length. I admire the dedication and devotion immensely. You just have to have the time.
Anyhow bed now and I hope some sublime slumber so I can take Fifi touring tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Don't stay away from the blogging too long. We'll miss you.
    And thank for your message too.
    JamPO

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you given up on the sumos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sumos seem to be hibernating, and not in my flat, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete