Monday, November 23, 2009

Where would I be without music?


For HRH, some purchases
Thanking PJ officially for sending CD, gosh it cheers me so much to hear music. My poor very quiet neighbour, Taeko must be suffering. I listen to a bit of online radio, but it wrecks havoc with the computer, and when I am out I need earphones to shut out all the noise, so my ears feel pretty hammered. But its so uplifting to get a good song, and I get so charged, invincible, connected with the lyrics, which I am sure are written just for me, for that moment. I have been loving Wolf Parade for some reason, but last night on JJJ there was a winsome song, that I heard and loved so much, I couldn't find it's title or who it was by, frustrating. Why can't the radio station post all their play-lists?
Yesterday was quite warm and I took a little outing to find some supplies. I had been down one road before, and noticed a few shops, and went there again, then saw a small path by the river and assumed it would lead me back to the river near my place, but what do you know. Two hours later I found a police box, and asked for directions, and the guy is just shaking his head, and rotating the map ten times, like he didn't know where he was. I am confounded by the confusion that not speaking the language ensues. I'm sorry, but it seems simple to me! It took another hour before I got home and I sure was relieved. Got some eel to celebrate.
Did some work in the afternoon and then went out to the Outsider Bar again. Yay for there, Machiko put on a Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell movie, in English! I could just hear their dulcet tones, and matched with some vodka shots I got along very nicely. We talked about music, and she loved 70's rock. Deep Purple, Led Zepellin, Elton John! So funny. I commented on how clean and shiny everything was in there, and she loved that I noticed, the place is spotless, I really must take more photos in there, but I took one in the loo;

I saw Machiko go in and I thought, I bet I know what she's doing, I knew, because many places I go to do this folding of the end paper. I even saw a show on telly advising this. I know it happens in hotels and stuff, but it just cracks me up that there is this decorum in every detail possible. And such luxurious loos as well, so spacious sometimes, like a whole room with a carpet and pictures, Oprah would be jealous, and clean as, electronic toilets that do more than I ever knew a toilet could do! In the winter those warm seats are very welcome. But there are the opposite of what I have described, and of those we shall speak no more.
Speaking of Oprah, have I mentioned how nice it is to be living in an Oprah-free zone? In fact, the celebrities here are all people I have never heard of, so have been wonderfully out of the loop as it is, in most Western matters. Not that it matters at all, I mean, I am much much more concerned with how you all are, than Britney...

Police bike!
I found a plastic bag under the sink which says "Art of yourself, by yourself, for yourself", which I cut out to keep. It is a curious line, but perhaps true.
Finished reading Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata, a strange and haunting tale, very good. The passive man, the unrequited love, very sad.

1 comment:

  1. Kawabata's novels are great.
    Look for The House of Sleeping Beauties, Thousand Cranes, The Old Capital, The Master of Go and The Sound of the Mountain.

    HRH

    ReplyDelete