Saturday, November 14, 2009

Kyoto was heaven on earth

And must be experienced by all as a matter of Global Importance.
I cannot believe what I have seen in the last 3 days, it was so mind-bogglingly fantastic all I can say is YOU MUST GO.
Please let me live so that I can return for weeks, to go into those vast temples and mountains and colour colour colour
colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour vcolour colour colour vvcolour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour vvvvvcolour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour vvvvcolour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour vvvvvcolour colour colour colour colour colour vvcolour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour vvcolour colour colour colour colour colour vvcolour colour colour colour colour colour vvcolour colour colour colour colour colour vcolour colour colour vcolour colour colour
FUCK








Do you get my drift?
I stayed in a 130 year old inn, with gardens in the courtyard, and full tatami and art alcove and ikebana and wood wood wood wood wood a few trees, then more wood...and earthen walls. I had the best 2 nights of dream fantasy, where ladies brought me 6 course meals in my room and I wore the Yukata/cotton kimono they gave me after bathing in their strange shared bathroom. The Yutaka was the most starched item I have ever put on my body ever, and it softened by morning...bliss. I got a wee bottle of sake each night and drank alone, festooned in the robe, like a big dork, and faced with the most unbelievable foods I have ever eaten on all different plates and never the same one twice. Breakfast and dinner was served in this fashion. I shiver from the joy in recounting the fabled visit but nothing would beat trying the severe formality of all the different customs, and bloody slippers that are far to small for my clod-hoppers.




Where I was staying in Kyoto
The best thing that happened next was having the bed laid out for me, in the center of the room...I have never slept central, call me weird but I have always liked a wall, any wall...I don't know, it was 2 futons, very starched white sheet and then 2 ginormous doonas, both in white covers...and a very small pillow, tight and hard filled with soba...I have never had such a different bed or pillow, and it was incredible, my body revelled in it. I loved the transition of the spirit of the room and the preparation for sleep, I loved Mikako, the young woman who laid it out for me and I loved sleeping in a bare wooden and clay walled haven with bamboo light next to me, and the sweetest tea set I have ever seen in a wooden box near the lacquered table.
When I arrived they brought me a green tea and a sweet so divine...I ate the rice paper wrapper as well! What a dag.
So nice, I cried from the beauty.
Around the area I was staying artisans were busy at work in shops with raised tatami covered platforms, where I saw painting and ceramics and calligraphy and scrolls and paper and silk and more, and this was only one afternoon...all woody wood wood and more parallel wood, and grids and lines, more lines than I have seen in my life...I feel so full of the beauty, if you opened me up...what? Some hugely fat light would burn as big as the sun! I can't believe I wrote that!
This Japan is indeed sublime.
Today I went to get the bus to the Golden Temple. A woman passing heard me asking which bus, and she stopped and said she was going, and she just happened to have a group of university students, and they were touring places today and practicing their English. We sat together on the bus, and went a long way from town, and we were getting to know eachother better, and the girls were all lovely, and that was my blessed day. We hit the Golden Temple which is indeed gold, the sun came out and I was awestruck, the red leaves the gold, blue sky, lake. Picture postcard every damn second, and there I was with 12 young women giving presentations in English with quizzes in front of hundreds of sight-seers, funny. They asked me to stay with them as they were going to a tofu lunch and a few more temples and then a famous rock garden. Everywhere we went was gor-geous and more amazing than the last. The tofu lunch was incredible with more types of tofu and by-products than I knew existed. Passed a lot of wind that afternoon.


Fetched the day up in a very famous sand/rock garden. Queen Elizabeth had visited apparently, and I recall it from the program "100 Great Gardens". What can I say, the place was a building site being renovated with this platform loaded with devotees. I sat for a few minutes with one of the students and started to 'get it'. The profundity of it is unerasable. Everyone disappeared as though you were there alone, and in some place as special as an Aboriginal sacred site, that was all I could think. So humble yet so grand.
Last night I was high as a kite racing from one temple to another catching the priests playing in one, a tea ceremony in another, the night lights being manoeuvred for optimum viewing, places where I just wanted to grasp one of the hundreds of fellow devotees and shake them with the power of my beautiful vision...can't post any photos as I left the cord back in Tokyo but you will have to take my word for it, it is a madly great spectacle. But to end it with that rock garden, that was just the icing on the very big and most delicious cake I have ever tucked into.
Oh my. Culture tourist, sore feet and mind full of these dashing fragments...so many temples, so vast, no-one had prepared me for this, it was beyond my wildest dreams.
One amazing thing aside from all the others is the sequence of gates and paths you go down to arrive at the ultimate spectacle. I am so used to the Western way of proudly showing off monuments, but here, you get somewhere fab, and around the corner, most in-auspiciously is somewhere even more fantastic...I would leave thinking, wow, I came in this way but forgot entirely about it, because I was so entranced with the next, the next the next...talk about Disneyland, this is a ride beyond every Disney experience combined, as every pilgrim and million photos per hour can attest to.
Tomomi Nishimura from Kyoto Tachibana University kindly insisted on getting a taxi to the station from there, which was lovely, and she dropped me off near my inn, so that I could get my things and get to Osaka, where I am now.
Hello Osaka!

2 comments:

  1. yes... Kyoto... so sublime...
    I haven't been there in decades...
    but the memories are very clear...

    did you get to Kobe?

    HRH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's stunning. I've even planned on staying at the Kyoto Okura hotel but unfortunatley plans are on hold. When's the best time to visit? I do want to see the geisha

    ReplyDelete