Monday, November 30, 2009

Izumi= Fountain

Tonight I watched the wonderful Izumi dance in a performance series at 'Die Pratze', a performance space. She wore a beautiful kimono and entered the theater beautifully, in fact she looked so exquisite, powdered and perfect, with the richness of the fabrics, gold, red and black, I couldn't believe it. The kimono was stuffed with white feathers at the back, and this mirrored the feathers on the half tatami mat in the center of the space. In the middle of this was a lovely Japanese doll her Aunt had given her as a child, and there were a couple of rubber ducks set there, to counteract the perfection.
Classical music played on Lp's, interchanged with the Beatles, and Earth, Wind and Fire, then back to Tchaikovsky. She breaks all conventions, her delicately manicured feet charmingly revolving around, so considered, understanding the past of dance and movement, then melding her many styles, many different techniques into this hybrid performance. The fountain overflows, and she is funny, and silly, her presence huge, her special nature shared. I understand many of her moves, having gotten to know her over the last couple of months, and it is so gratifying to hear such a response. She is strong and unfailing, no compromise, she breaks the rules and crosses the borders, I am delighted. It makes me very happy, to be in a packed theater seeing her engage the audience, after these months of watching her in the 'private' space of the cemetery.
Other performances were interesting as well, only one I hated. Its the first time I have sat down indoors for a show for I don't know how long, I had forgotten how interesting it is to watch other people in a theater, and watch them not looking! Funny.
So I had some culture today, despite my dreadful hangover. I am not going to mix any more drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment