Sunday, November 15, 2009

It is Sunday


And I am in Osaka, having spent the day traipsing and sight seeing, now I have some shochu, and a ticket to Hiroshima in the morning.


Went to an open air museum of old farmhouses today. Thatched roof city! Along with the bamboo and farms around I was enthralled, all the structures had been transported here from all over Japan, and some were huge. Spent a few hours imagining myself in that environment, sitting on porches and around fires inside the houses and totally loving the bamboo. There weren't many people there, bar a few artists doing sketches, and some artisans weaving and doing origami stuff, cool!
Later I went to a Ceramics museum, yay it was free, and it had quite a collection of blue and whites, I hesitate to say I blew another gasket! But then I found the snuff bottles...wow! Literally hundreds in glass and other materials, tiny and incredibly beautiful, I struck up fort there and wouldn't budge. Josie I saw a Korean celodon ware bowl from like the 12th Century that I think you would like.

I certainly did. Timeless.
Walked along the river for a bit, in fact there were 2 rivers, and saw something triangular and organic moving swiftly along. I have no idea what it was and since I was just about the only person there (other than the street sweepers) I might never know what it was. It was definitely alive.
Tried to find some other living museum, but found instead the longest shopping strip I have seen in my life, which is really a 'living museum'. Literally kilometers of covered 'mall' to use the term loosely as cyclists were using it, and it was on for young and old. I had to shut my eyes a few times to recover my sight from all the looking, seriously.



Shop with $1 bunches of bananas, bananas!
Outrageous sights, and sounds and way-out smells, all good mate, really good. I ate octopus balls and then an octopus pancake for like 130Yen. Had great fun identifying the octopus in one place, by acting out my version of their movements.
I had some great searing joy crossing one of the bridges in the train, looking out at a size-able mountain range in the distance. I saw how much I do not know, and how daft I am for not studying up on practically anything before I visit somewhere, my naivety surprises me, thats how naive I am. Stupid some might say. But then I get these delightful surprises.
Altogether not a bad day, though there was some confusion over what size glass my beer was going to come in...oh dear, talk about flustered, but I got a schooner in the end, which was exactly what I needed after a day of massive movement. I didn't speak to anyone all day, bar the waitress and the JR travel info lady. Strange having so many ruminations to share but no-one to share them with. I would love to come back, but not on my own. Went looking for a bar near the hotel and couldn't find anything, so here I am back in my room...
As a matter of fact I am able to report that there was not one place in my travels today where I didn't see someone cleaning or tidying up. Well done, Switzerland of Asia capital #1, gold star!
May I say that the toilet where I am staying pisses for me, truly, when you sit down water starts flushing. My ears and bladder are confounded.

1 comment:

  1. Funny how the gels don't like to hear the sound of their urine... not unheard of to piss and flush at the same time... in order to cover up the sound

    HRH

    ReplyDelete