Saturday, November 7, 2009

Moved with grace and elegance today



Bread wrapper and lunch
Well...some grace! Felt a little funny this morning so took a very long very hot bath, which restored me. Took myself off to Tokyo Opera City to see the gallery there, carefully not bumping into a single soul. It was full on out there, but I totally negotiated the spaces and kept moving at Goffman pace, but with no argy bargy. Had no idea what show was on, and when I got there I was all disappointed as it was some designer, Verner Panton's show. After a few nice and world recognised chairs and lights I started getting interested, and by the time I went into a red carpeted room where you had to take your shoes off I was a full devotee. They had a huge rainbow hued smooth woolen seating area, all organic shapes on which to lie in different colours and positions. Phantasy Landscape. It was sublime, lying with all these strangers, enjoying the colour and the comfort. I got my money's worth moving through every possible seating and lying position possible! There was a quote by him saying that one was more comfortable in a chair if you liked the colour of it. I really dig that.
Upstairs was another show from their collection, and same with downstairs, I was under-awed at first, but then I saw 2 paintings by Tamie Okuyama, painted in 1999; Series Wataru: Nichijin. Just circles on a background, amazing colours, and I stood transfixed for 10 minutes as the colours shifted and dilated, they become sun and moon and interchanged and morphed. I am serious, I saw steam and fog coming off one, fire and ice forming, it was incredible. So that made my day. Reminded me of Rondinone's wondrous circualr paintings, I am so drawn in, and feel completed, physically, mentally and aesthetically.
I was pretty hungry by then, and on leaving noticed a few conveniently located restaurants, sussed them out and chose the cheaper. I was the only one in there, I suppose it was rather late, there were 3 sushi chefs and a couple of waiters. I ordered a plate of 9 pieces, and a green tea. The waiter brought me my water, which was a work of art in itself, the ice they have here is like none I have ever seen, incredibly clear slabs or perfect cubes...I tell you, there is nothing the Japanese don't excel at! And then the food, this big beautiful dish of fresh fish comes and I just couldn't stop smiling, it looked so exquisite. But then a bowl of soup was placed before me, and then I knew I was in heaven. Super clear soup with some dried fish fragments and a few shallots, it smelt divine and was the most wondrous soup I have ever tasted. How do they do this?!!! I am so jealous and envious it really isn't funny. I have to learn! I have to! If nothing else, this is the most important lesson I can adopt. Lucky there were no other diners to hear me groaning in orgasmic delight, enjoying every morsel except the eggywegg, can't stand that.
I felt amazing after lunch, just floating along on a cloud of fresh fish and ginger. Passed a market and they had muesli! Hooray! My desire for whole grains fulfilled.
So back at home being a bit quiet for a change, eating some roots, shoots and leaves.

7 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!
    Verner Paton!
    I am DYING with jealousy. HRH will be beside herslef when/if she reads this.
    How good is anywhere but Sydney?
    Sometimes we really are the arse end of everything...
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lay all over his lounges exhaling my tofu breath...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verner Panton!!!! I am soooo jealous...

    HRH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying... you have no idea....

    HRH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you take pictures? Can u steal anything? Postcards? Anything?
    HRH

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so not fair

    HRH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come over you baby, $300 return from Cairns! I got one postcard which I sent to Jammy, maybe she will share it with you.

    ReplyDelete