Monday, November 9, 2009

Walked to Shinjuku today

It wasn't that far, but it was in the hot sun, and whats more, there weren't any pesky humans in my way. Found a wonderful temple, and enjoyed saying to people who spoke to me "I don't understand". (Especially in one area of Shin-Okubo where I stopped to have a cigarette, it must've been the red light district for I had 2 propositions in the first 5 minutes.) But I felt like I was totally in Godzilla territory! Found another road that I recognised in the puzzle, very pleased with myself.
For you Lisa
Keep thinking about the other day when I met a German woman in the gardens and asked her what this thing was we were looking at, and she told me, a Japanese beehive. (It was amazing, a big round wooden looking thing, but the 'wood' had sworls on it.) Anyway, I said with a grin "I don't understand anything here", and she said; 'learn Japanese'. But that's what I like, not understanding, the state of confusion is re-assuring and novel to me, much as I seek answers, the novelty of not knowing what is going on, I don't know, it adds to the magic feeling of being such a foreigner. Although reading menus would help! Today I ordered a set lunch, and we were on the 3rd floor, and they didn't have pictures, so the waiter gestured to come downstairs with him, and he pushed the elevator button for me, then he ran downstairs. Same with coming back up! Why? Did he see my lusty gaze? Believe me, it was pure hunger. So strange. Lunch was delicious fish and some rice, some pickles, a soup and a few glass noodles I would have been happy with them alone! $7.
I finally booked my passage to Kyoto for Thursday, finding it is totally the high season, and there was virtually nowhere left to stay. I got one room for one night in a traditional place, but it was funny at first when I said I wanted one of the older Inns, she said 'no. It is for 2 people only.' Well fuck that, I am staying in one, and it may cost me 3 weeks wages, but I am doing it.
I went into a restaurant at lunch, a bit early and asked if it was open, the guys nearly had a fit, screaming "NO"! Such emphasis, what warriors! They will be safe from me now. Whoever told me the Japanese do not like to say no, well bully them. I get plenty.
Have needed to get some shoes for a while now, and had sussed a shop out, put on my cleanest socks and went there. They didn't have my size but this eager assistant was shaking with apologies and said "I go get", and dashed out the door at lightning speed. I sat and waited, only about 10 minutes, and then he was back with a size ten, sweating his little face off. He had ran to another store to get a pair. Fortunately they fit, and I simply had to buy them. Christ people work hard here, no slackers!
Every time I see one of the bent over old people I reach for a yogurt.
Tonight it is gentle noodles, and some miso, and some beautiful classical music.

1 comment: