Thursday, January 28, 2010

Year of Biodiversity


Heard about this today, and somehow it seemed timely. With the annihilation of various forms of life daily, I assume it is there to remind us of how vital it is to retain as many forms as possible. I haven't killed a single spider since coming back...there have been some giant ones inside and I just get a bit scared, then try not to look at them. Furry brown flowers I try to call them. The other day when it was so damned hot I came home and found all these dead cockroaches , big and small, the heat had killed them!
Yesterday I had tea with AK and she mentioned trying not to use videos in her work because of the responsibility to the environment. All the minerals that are mined to use for our precious machines and tools. But we live in this era of advanced, although neglectful technology. Do we ignore this and try to live as low impact as we can. Every single thing has impact, just living has impact...I love computers and telephones. I love electricity! My hope is in the microbes that develop as a result of our poisons, and their capacity to consume radioactive waste and by-products of our misdeeds. Humans need to live in collaboration with the natural world, it is a partnership, where everyone plays a role. Except for the illegal negligent toxic dumpers.
Watched "WALL-E" last night and was surprised at Disney's eco-stance, and what a terrific little film it was. In the end credits it listed the production babies and there were a few dozen, in the making of the film I assume all these children were born. It contextualised the film in an important way for me, as it is a notion of the future and the collective responsibility we all have.

1 comment: