Thursday, January 14, 2010

Went to the mall


Didn't know which side of the street to walk on. Disconcerted a number of other pedestrians as I was obviously not on the correct side. Couldn't believe how spacious and empty the shops were, nor how little merchandise there was to choose from. Enjoyed being able to ask where something was, I know how some things work and could multi-task! It was so little effort compared to how I used to feel about it. In fact Sydney is a breeze these days, getting somewhere is so much easier than I remember it. I just walk there, sometimes in the middle of the road, as there is so little traffic.
Where is everybody? It is still school holidays so I must have a different perception, but before I went to Japan, I thought Sydney was at maximum capacity. Ha! Now I know better. Although when I was walking up the travelators I bumped a couple of people and didn't say sorry. I had to ask Lisa whether I should or not, she reminded me that I should, Australians like their personal space, and you need to acknowledge them. Point taken! Thats what pissed me off the most in Japan.
There are alot of Asian students down at Broadway and all of a sudden my interest has piqued. I never paid much attention, after all they are just people, doing their shopping but now I notice and listen as to where they might be from, and if they are Japanese, my ears prick up and I listen hard. I miss hearing the voices, and lovely words. I have even followed some.
In the sushi bar I was in the other day, I loitered near the counter trying to catch the discussions in the kitchen. I am too shy to say 'oh yes, I was just in Tokyo for 3 minutes..' so I keep mute. But I was disappointed that when I walked in they didn't greet me as they used to, in Japanese, nor do they say goodbye anymore in Japanese. Why not? What happened?
It is early and the birds are singing beautifully. I can't believe how quickly the week has gone by, and am looking forward to making PJ's birthday cake on the weekend. And getting a new camera, I am hanging out to take photos again. Its funny, before I left I only used it occasionally, but now I have got the bug, and whenever I am out, I want to record the every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment