Saturday, January 30, 2010

Space




Space and more vast and empty space. Went to Kurnell and there weren't any people there! I can't get over it. A few fishermen, a couple of strollers, but the park was deserted and delightful...I could sing, shout dance, chase cockatoos like a silly girl, lie on the grass, roll around with panties showing, no-one to see except the ghosts of the past. Such an extraordinary place, with the refinery chugging along in the sand dunes, and there is Captain Cook's landing spot. Since I went there last they'd built a platform and installed some information about the Aboriginal response. It wasn't bad.
Watched 'Samson and Delilah' last night, powerful film, tragic and good. I was fascinated by the hand movements that were employed to communicate. Gestures.
I feel so fortunate living here, fortunate to be alive in this era, with all this at my disposal. I went for a walk early this morning, before it got too hot, just strolling, listening to the birds and the early children awake and hammering in homes. Poor parents. It was so nice being out that early, rather than just hitting the computer first thing. Only a few dog-walkers at that hour, grudgingly giving their dogs the chance to roam and take a shit.
Going to finish Murakami's 'Kafka on the Shore' today, I am so enjoying it. I note that whenever I travel, I develop an interest in the place that lasts. The other day I was at the library and I read the New York Times, then the Guardian, then the Japan Times. It is a great aspect of travelling, having that connection with a place. I found a copy of the book on my shelf, un-read. I don't know how many books I have that I haven't read, but it's always a nice bonus, it's like a free library in your own home.
The biggest pine cone I have ever seen

1 comment: