Sunday, January 24, 2010

Easy going



I never fully appreciated, till now, the easy going nature of people here. "No worries", "she'll be right" and "no problems, mate!" are the constants. I like that a lot, being wired to rush but having learnt to ask 'do you mind if...?', to the affirmative. The laconic sauntering has real appeal on a hot summer day, you get a heat rash otherwise!
Not everyone is taking it easy, I have seen a few junkies who are definitely having a hard time, and there are many people in general who are speeding around, freaking out I am sure. Life here seems very casual, for the most part, in attire and in attitude. That said, I have still seen a fair bit of aggression and raised voices. Poor sausages.
I had lunch in Hyde Park today with my Dad, then we spent an hour watching the outdoor chess game in action. I loved the whole scenario, predominantly men sitting and standing, sometimes discussing moves and each internally playing, the pigeons walking on the board, the slow calculations that each watcher was performing. The players and their 'cool', sometimes lifting a piece, other times giving it a push with their feet. The game requiring no money, just time and knowledge of the rules. The little offshoots of players on the sidelines, keen enough to bring their own boards. The cliques of fellows who knew eachother from way back when, and those just dropping in and settling for a gander. So relaxed, and civilised. Ancient game.
Fellow at Circular Quay with collected feathers

No comments:

Post a Comment