Thursday, January 21, 2010

Urban nature

I saw this sign on a hoarding in Tokyo; "Urban nature". It struck me as a good title and I am still thinking about it. I return to the tropical greenery here and am awed. Maybe as I haven't gone bush since returning, I have found Sydney surprisingly satisfying in the nature stakes. My backyard beauty fills me with love every time I go out there and gaze, the vista of layered greens and textures. Filtered dappled light enthused with chlorophyll. I can't get enough of looking at that beauty.
The architecture of trees, their limbs forming a painting, perfect and natural. I admire the branches and where the twigs grow out at random places, but all in unison with eachother. The variegating shades of green. Why do I love the colour so much I keep wondering. Is it that it is the coolest colour on your eyes, if a shade cloth is green you immediately feel cooler. Is it perhaps that as omnivores we are hard wired to enjoy the presence of leaves, and relate it to fertility and therefore food. It is symbolic of ideas of farming and plenty.
In the city, the trees are controlled, their roots destroy buildings and the branches drop all over the place, but when you get further afield, the trees are bigger and more natives. I cherish the gum tree at the front of our house, it gives us shade and I can lie in bed watching the gum leaves flickering in the light. When I go to the park at night I see the electric lights make the silver in the leaves look like they are shot through with light, like molten silver glimmering and glistening.
The other day I did yoga in the park, head on the ground. It was awessomely better, with the trees all around, and the earth transmitting it's vital energy to my vitals. We formed a unison, and I swore I will do it outside more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment