Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A week since I left



And I'm dreaming vivid dreams at night of the place and the people. Last night I dreamt of passing thousands of shoppers, I guess I miss the surge of crowds, or the vision of them. I dreamt of the food, and have dreams of Japanese conversations, where the melodious voices natter away and I still understand nothing.
It is nearly as strong a shock returning to Sydney as it was arriving in Tokyo. The warm weather, the light, the sky, the trees...everything looks foreign and incredible! Arriving in Cairns last week I was crestfallen. I just sat in the gutter under a palm tree and cried. The crass voices! The huge, badly dressed people! But friendly and I understood the codes. I just couldn't believe it was over.
Now after a week, I am still acclimatising. I draw comparisons as much as ever and felt like continuing blogging as it is just as vital to observe the process as it develops.
Spent the first few days tracking down food and drink here. Went to the Japanese food store at Town Hall and got many of my favourite staples. Found shochu online, a restaurant in Willoughby sells it, and yesterday I had my first delivery. Sake.net. Three times the price of Japan, and they didn't have the one I loved, but whatever. Had a drink last night of the fire liquid and it went straight to pleasure spot.
By far the most wonderful thing is seeing PJ again. He is so much more handsome and sweet than I remembered. Love again! We have been re-connecting on many levels and yesterday embarked on some much needed kitchen re-haul. He is on holidays for a few weeks so thats fabulous.
The second most fantastic thing is seeing mates again, all the beauties I love so much, and have such a history with.
And the third best thing is the ocean and the trees. PJ and I have been going for walks at dusk and I am worshipping gum trees again. Absolute beauty. The smells in the air of the myriad blossoms and natural oils is exquisite. Carla took me to La Perouse beach on Saturday, and I screamed with joy. The day before yesterday Elvis took me to Maroubra and it was a religious experience. The water was not too cold, there were waves, but they were gentle and the water was spotlessly green, no weeds, no stingers, just liquid glass, and I couldn't stop diving and bobbing and luxuriating. It was heaven, I felt cradled in Mother's arms, so safe and knowledgeable about body positioning in that medium. Wow. It might have been my most perfect swim ever.
But I can't believe Aussie accents, and understanding the language again! I hear my voice and I think it has changed, after these months of straining to be understood, my voice was tired and a higher pitch than usual.
I can't believe how rough and crude it is here. Went into a pub and the wall of noise, the roar of a few dozen giant men bellowing their booming voices, the stink of beer, the echo off the tiles, it was an assault to my ears and senses. So different form the subdued jazz bars and gentle spaces where you booze in Japan. Hm.
We've been riding trains quite successfully as well, not waiting too long, but I really notice how antiquated the system seems, how noisy and filthy...should I bring a cloth and some product and just start cleaning? I don't mind doing a bit.
But the friendliness of strangers and passer-byes is so welcome. Just striking up conversation with practically anyone you encounter is a joy I have missed badly.
Last night Pj and I went out to Lakemba for some Lebanese food. I think it was the first time I felt the strength of this place hit me hard. To be immersed in this variety of cultures, Indian, Muslim, African, Middle Eastern...super. Walking up Haldon Street in search of vittles was sublime, the smells, the heat, the lazy way people walk here, it is so different. And then the meal of fresh bread, pickles and mint, hummous, felafel, chicken and lamb...oh my! My oh my. I have missed tabouleh! So I feel returned now, and am anticipating many more wonders.
A nice beetle

No comments:

Post a Comment