Sunday, December 27, 2009

The size of humans



Back in gargantuan land, I really notice it every day. Men towering over me, by more than a few inches, gigantic people taking up half the pavement, not being able to see over the shoulders of almost everybody...this is the world that I'm supposedly accustomed to, yet it seems all strange and different. The pumped up muscle men, jeez, I saw about 50 tattooed muscley arms in the first few days, and whats more, they all had the same exact tattoos! In this world of zillions of pictures, how can so many people choose the same?
Giant hairy legs, and pregnant looking males. Of course many actually pregnant women, but compared to Japan, their stomachs look twice if not three times the size.


And the light hair colour! And the hairy faces and arms and chests...it all seems much more obscene, or indecent, in comparison. Flesh! Abundance of flesh everywhere, and wrinkles that show ageing, withered skin, so different. I am not talking about ugliness, it is just a different kind of beauty, the 'lived in' face. The wealth of emotions that carve the lines.
Oh well, at least I am going to find clothes to fit me again. And shoes.
But after only 3 months, it amazes me how my perspective can be changed. I suppose when I go bush even for a few days, that shifts my entire city-outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment