Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Long, THIN island


I think eating fish from deep waters makes the spirit of this place, the deeper the fish, the more worldly, in latitude, and in longitude. So when you consume this deep water freshness, you also indulge in what 'otherness' that fish/sea creature indulges in...another mysterious world. People may not think about it at all, but I think this is the case. Maybe people take it for granted, but I am part of the indulgence, and aware, super-aware, and I see it, I am witness. When I ingest these delicately carved morsels of freshness, I am with the fish. It becomes part of me, and I am grateful.
I watched the sashimi being prepared yesterday, in such quiet. It was like a religious ritual, the many fish to unwrap from their silent cloths, their flesh carved perfectly, their placement on the plate, exactitudes...the chef washing in between cuts, and wiping and washing the board, the knife, his hands moulding the wasabi...I am in awe!
Had my very last class with the ladies, and gave them a small gift; it's some sort of biscuit in the shape of a Buddha, and the inside has brains of red bean.
They gave me so many presents, I was very touched, I have learnt so much from them.
Last night was Lina and Morisan's duet at a gallery in Ginza, Gallery Sol. Finding the place caused me much grief, but of course I got there eventually. I hate Ginza, what conspicuous consumption, status crap and sickening. But to find it and meet the artist, Ayako Wakamiya, was super. Her work was so great, and their performance was incredible. I haven't seen them do much indoors, and to be in relationship with the works on the wall was awesome. I can't explain, it must be experienced, but the hour or so that they performed felt like 5 minutes, and I didn't want it to end. I am obsessed. The night before I went and watched their rehearsal, seeing the work progress to such a degree is a gift.
Went for some lovely Taiwanese food afterwards, and had some beers and a drink made with tea, I dug that in a big way. I said "order what you want", and they did, and I ate bits of it all, even the innards I enjoyed, even the black fucken eggs! I thought they were eggplant, and I guess in a way they are.
Today's mission was finding a pair of comfy shoes. I have worn THROUGH 2 pairs since being here, and it is essential to have something I can wear. Took me 6 hours, and many god-damned stores, maybe 50 pairs I tried on. I don't even like them but they will do. Curse their small sizes. Curse the attitudes of many sales staff who presume I am a Yank. Have I said already how vital it is that you establish your nationality initially?
Sad, but justified. Very loaded past relationship.
I note that not a day has gone by without seeing someone with a measuring tape, doing the measurements, it doesn't surprise me, it is just funny.
I heard MGMT playing in a store, and when I commented the ladies cocked their heads in such a way...it is an expression all in itself.

Salt on the doorstep
Glad to be back home, glad the computer is behaving, glad that I had 6 of the tastiest gigantic-est scallops on rice with vegetables for $6. I didn't know what they were but thought I'd try them. YUM.
Tomorrow, Rebecca Horn at the MCA-TOKYO! I am going with Hiharu and Izumi, and then to Hanging man performance. This is the gentleman who does the cauterisation. Very interested to see what he does.

Lambies await me.

No comments:

Post a Comment