Thursday, December 10, 2009

Too excited

The city energy? My energy? Crazy! I woke up at 3am, really thinking it might be 6am, but it wasn't. Have resorted to hot milk, to try and calm down! Yuck. The art of self-soothing...in Sydney I know how to do that, but here, I am a restless baby.
The strangest thing is I don't feel tired. Those 3 hours felt sufficient. Dreamt of complicated mountain paths and a temple which was under guard. It closed in the evening, and I kept sneaking back and hiding from the guards so I could look at the beautiful pond some more. In the vending machines here, there are these plastic bubbles with toys and stuff in them, in the dream pond, people had been casting these into the water, and the water was filled with them. What was beautiful was that when you threw the bubble into the water it lit up for a short time, so you could see underwater, and it was criminally beautiful. I wanted to do this over and over, and was ducking behind rocks to try and do it again. The valleys around me were filled with ghosts, and I was being taught what it all meant. A culmination of my experiences here? It makes sense to me. I am witness to the leaves going from green to rust, and now they are falling, the paths in this park seen from the building I work in have previously been hidden and now they reveal themselves to me.
What I love about here, is I am not plagued by the ghosts of Sydney. All those things seem very far away, as they are. But I am still haunted by other things. Maybe it is just being alive causes these thoughts, and as I get older, I become more aware...
I am thinking that yes this is a mammoth city, but whats funny is how many times I have seen the same gaijin people. Quite a few times! It is probably that we are all on the same tourist paths, but I recognise a number of faces now! Funny. We kind of nod, but it is still awkward (at least for me!) I wonder why I am embarrassed to see them. Is it that their round eyes generally signify our heritage and I acknowledge that but do not want to say 'hey buddy, we're from the West, huh?!', I don't know...when it's a woman on her own we usually exchange a small smile and nod, but if it's a couple of people, no way! They don't exist, but they do! I remember living in New York and having this issue, and even in Australia. In cites, how much do you acknowledge your fellow folk? In the country it is easy, you hold up your hand if you drive past someone, and mostly say g'day to passer-byes. I like that. We are all here, I can see them, and they can see me, whats wrong with acknowledging that?
So, so, so.
At New Year's here, you have the chance of expelling 108 different bad things from yourself. Cleanse and purify, it seems through sake, temples and eating pure Japanese food for 4 days I think. I would like to try this.
I am dreading the thought of leaving all these restaurants and bars behind. My ass wants to sit in each and every one, sampling their delights. Hm.

No comments:

Post a Comment