Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Out West


Drove to Penrith today, on the freeway, with AL. I haven't been out West in many months, especially speeding along a freeway, with all that space around, and gum trees galore. Couldn't believe the vast open land, and flocks of cockatoos. Went to Penrith Regional Gallery and saw a great show, but kept coming back to the gardens which Margot Lewers herself had initiated. Cucumbers proliferating! I was given one and can't wait to stick it in a salad. I have been loving cucumbers lately, I eat them every day, and consider them an evolved and refined vegetable.
When I got back to town, I noticed how narrow the streets felt and how little pavement there is. Lately as a pedestrian I have felt at such a disadvantage, the cars have all the roads and we have these meagre sidewalks littered with bins and poles and other crap that serves as a disincentive for strollers. Aussies just put up with it, or move away if it irks them too much. A shame.
Should I devote my life to fighting Council, and lobbying for better public transport? Or should I just ignore it and make the most of this city and just get away often enough for it not to bother me so much? Moan!
Saw

No comments:

Post a Comment