Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lots of rain


The last few days. Lots of thunder, and huge downpours. The frogs, lizards, slugs and snails are very happy.
We went to Rookwood Cemetery today, to commemorate Mary and Emma, it was very peaceful and no-one was around. Good air. We walked through the old parts and I felt the earth beneath my feet, and enjoyed the flowers growing around and the outstanding orange lichens that grow on the sides of tombstones. It's the first time I have been to a cemetery since Yanaka, I realise, and I can't help contemplate my involvement with death.
In my very earliest photographic works, I used images of cemeteries and graveyards. I think of the tombstones and see them as the only portraits of so many people who once lived. I have always had been drawn to these places of contemplation, and general quiet, the sense of space and then the little buildings that are erected as memorials or places to sit, chapels and shady huts. I am fascinated with these places that are opposite to the living areas of the world.
Remembrance, it is the gift of having a memory to commemorate. If you have no involvement, you have no memories. When you see a tomb lovingly cared for, you can't help but think of those living who have taken this job on as a form of duty, ritual and respect. When you see someone tending to their relative's grave you imagine a scenario...my heart goes out to them.
I love the different areas at Rookwood, so many denominations and varying traditions. I think of what it would have been like when it was first instituted, and feel the ghosts of the long dead, and how bleak it would have been.
It makes me glad I am alive to witness.
And as the wonderful PJ pointed out, there must be a room full of some really big keys to open all those crypts...big ancient decorative keys...

No comments:

Post a Comment