Saturday, February 13, 2010

Here and now


This week has had some ecstatic highlights. The foremost being snorkeling at Clovelly and seeing the giant groper. I had been in for quite a while and was getting cold and making my way out when there it was, in all it's gigantic glory, nosing about near the steps...I couldn't believe how beautiful and blue it was. There were hundreds of other fish there, many that recognised, and many more. Whole schools of garfish, swimming along the top surface, octopus along the bottom and countless others amongst the rocks and all around.
Last night I went to the first concert I have been to in years. I got a subscription to the chamber orchestra and was transported by flawless symphonies and arrangements. I just sat there and let the music wash me with it's pure pure crystal clear sound. I love Schubert, and they began with one of his. It is like a big drink of water when you are very thirsty. When the oboes started playing I rose even higher, and had to reach for my hanky, as tears started falling. I felt the music all over me, sometimes in my knees, sometimes elbows, back of neck, the spine of course, and other parts! It was delightful and when I left with sore hands from clapping,I walked taller and had a big grin on my face, because I know it's totally bourgeois and white collar, but classical music is something else wonderful. I went on my own, and felt delicious.
Today I am seeing my folks, and maybe we will be dining at the Thai restaurant up the road. It is still raining and everything is dripping, the fans are on and the skirts are flapping. Tropical life is so fecund, and sensual.

1 comment:

  1. IS there anything better than snorkelling?
    Someone I work with HATES it.
    I almost hate her now.
    JP

    ReplyDelete