Sunday, October 9, 2011

Shin Minatomura





Staying in Dream Heights has embellished my dream life, each night of quiet I feel I can hear my dreams more clearly. Last night I was swimming in a large ocean pool, a jade green underwater, with blooms of golden seaweeds floating beautifully like a perfectly arranged garden. I could breathe underwater, and stay deep down. It was so very beautiful and wonderful.
Today is a warm day in Yokohama and a public holiday. Yesterday was some sort of giant sport's carnival up the road and today was band practice and it seemed like running games. The brass orchestra was tuning their instruments, but it sounded like they were playing a Steve Reich symphony, it was a wall of sound, perfectly arranged and monumental. There aren't many sounds that encourage me to remove my Ipod, but this was delicious.
The city was busy, but I got down to the pier easily for once, and felt a knowledge of where I was going...less than 2 more weeks of doing this. Phew, I am looking forward to being in the comfort of my home and environment again.
Have had some great times in Koganichu, a site of artist's studios and workshops. Last night Bec cooked san choy bow for Hiro's street stall down there, which was held in the market place. Following this we retired to his kitchen for boozing and meeting casual strangers. Hiro baked an impromptu banana and white chocolate pie which was devoured immediately after removing from the oven at 11pm. Now thats service! Unfortunately, when we got back to Totsuka the buses weren't running so we had to wait half an hour for a taxi along with fifty other inconvenienced citizens. Motherfucking buses. They charge twice the daily fare after 11pm, and then just cancel their services.
No-one to complain to except Bec, and the poor fellow in front of us in the queue who capitulated by putting on his headphones.
The traffic here is terrible, all the robotic looking compact cars, windows shut full of tidy occupants sitting endlessly in hour long jams, looking stupefied.
Saw a great performance the other night by a Homeless Theatre group, down at the Pier. It was great. Sensitive issues dealt with humanely and creatively, very moving and dark. The set was bare, except a large koi in a tank, which was emblematic of the men's movements and fragility. Afterwards someone asked me what I thought of the performance, finding it located in Japan, I said I thought it was very universal and completely comprehensible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment