Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wakarimasen!

No room for laps
私は理解しない
I don't understand!
So much eludes me, but I am trying. I think where I am really succeeding is at the sushi bars; I've discovered that there are 3 types of sushi you can order, the cheapest is 'bamboo', middle range is 'plum' and the most expensive is 'pine'. I love that. I have also fallen in love with shiso/ume nori, which is the shiso leaf with plum, yum. Cho oishi!
There has been mega activity in the studio and for that reason there hasn't been time to write. I have been researching maki-e, which is laquerware, and making my own versions. Had an open studio on Saturday where a bunch of my dancer friends came. That was great, we went out afterwards and went to the Aoyama Cemetery at night, whence dancing was done. It was a super night and the first where I felt wholeheartedly content. Watching them dance to the strains of Hori's music machine, under the reflected light of the clouds, lying on soft grass, I felt at peace with the world.
I have been so at odds with everything since being here, so moody and tetchy!
Stayed in a ryokan in Tsunashima last week, it had the lovliest old phone I have ever seen and a small rock garden in each room. I loved it. Wish I could stay in that sort of place always. Went to the onsen there, which was very different from others I'd visited, with a big garden and large tatami matted rooms surrounding it, where people lay around eating and drinking, relaxing and even doing karaoke in one of them, and dancing. I loved the vibe there, and took my time as it was a very very hot day outside. Let me tell you, my face cloths and hankies have been getting a good workout here, I carry one and am constantly mopping myself down. In fact there is a scarf in the freezer, packed with ice packs that is made to wrap around your neck for vicious days, it really works!
Maybe its the heat thats getting to me, and the officialdom of this place, there is so much expected of you, but it is so hard to get anything done, it seems like there are so many obstacles in the way. I suppose some of it may be my misunderstanding of procedures, and just simple things can take hours...urgh!
Tomorrow I am going up North with Lina to a festival there, in Aomori. Will be back on Sunday!
Me with Mr.Eyeball (Taiwanese artist) and fabulous cook/makeup artist/assistant

2 comments:

  1. love this picture of you. The phone is cho kawaii!!
    stick at it baby1
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You is awesome
    Mr Eyeball?
    Looks like on of the Residents got lost.
    YoD

    ReplyDelete