Friday, June 17, 2011

Nothing I attempt is easy


Thats how it seems to me, after 2 days of trying to print things and continually fucking up, making copies and new folders and just having the stupid apple logo laughing at me, as I fill my desktop space and hard drive with new copies...I try to use the help menu, and wah wah wah...
Fortunately the studio is a safe haven from these things, and I have felt good being in there, going in after hours, when everyone is gone and I turn up the music and get lost in the process. I suppose that is easy. After the year of defaulting on art work I feel an intense desire to make work again, and just produce.
This week I began my 'clean-up', beginning in an alley-way down the road, that is quiet. No-one goes down there and I gathered my materials and set them up in 5 minutes, that was easy. I don't know what the home owner across the way thought of it. I do know that someone looks after the alley, as when I first stumbled across it all these weeds were growing, but when I went to do my install, they had been carefully plucked, and neatly stacked. I found an old water damaged notebook, just the same as the ones I use, with weeds growing on it, and when I picked it up, all these slater beetles went scurrying. Even in a city as crowded as Tokyo there are insects filling the niches. Thats what I like about this project, it makes me examine the minutae of detail, and find previously un-observed delights.
I also had the fortune to visit Takusan, the Hanging Man. He did his action, in total hanging himself five times. There was a big toad in the garden which started moving when he entered, and a cat came and sat while he performed. A cricket began singing and the rain began falling. It was magic.
We then had dinner, and drinks, sitting in his tiny house around the table. I was blown away by what he spoke of, everything from physics to an ageing goddess, whose concepts he was going to be examining in his next works.

No comments:

Post a Comment