Monday, June 20, 2011

Actually I drank the whole bottle


Broken man, broken house and some rice plants at the shinto temple
It is the big city story, and I can remember when I lived in New York, how much it obliterated the individual, and how lonely you could feel in such a crowded place. All these hard workers here, everyone actually hates it, it is just a means to an end.
I went to Asakusa yesterday, a big temple there, and very touristy, which participated in wholeheartedly. I had sushi for lunch and wandered the streets, Behind the temple there is an amusement park, with big rides, and you can hear the screams of terrified kids going on the drop machine, from the temple. The temple is such a noisy place, I guess it is maximum level at this particular one, Sensoji it is called, where hundreds come each minute and throw their money from afar, and people are yelling and laughing and others are shaking these boxes, where their fortunes come out (like a toothpick holder). But it amazes me how the temples have been adapted to house as many people as possible, in and out, no sermons, just up the steps, ring the bell, throw the money and clap your hands- not in that order, but really, it is designed for such a huge population to just get in and out as soon as possible.
I saw a disturbing sight at the shinto shrine, which I find compellingly ironic, a snow monkey performing for an audience. I couldn't believe they were allowed to do this on site, but there they were, clapping and laughing at the monkey. I took a photo, thinking, 'fucking monsters', how disgusting and immoral.
Oh well. But for the first time since coming here, I really felt like taking photos again, and just meandered through old alleyways, discovering all sorts of treasures, and seeing how life really is.
This is how many plates I ate at lunch.

1 comment:

  1. Finally checking out your blog. What a slacker!?
    Anyway, just wanted to say don't get between Goffas and sushi.
    YOD

    ReplyDelete