Saturday, September 26, 2009

Made it to the National Museum in Ueno. Had my map out like a big dummy and was confused, so I just followed the crowds. It was enormous and I feared not being able to cover the whole place in one day. But fortunately due to the spartan hang it wasn't a problem. The architecture was magnificent, and there was so much to see. First room I went in had a whole bunch of Hokusais...and kimonos and scrolls and laquerware, and china and those darling netsukes and swords and armour and more Buddhas than I knew existd. Such amazing things of beauty, and the paleolithic area dated back to only 10,000BC. The very early stuff blew my mind, it looked Mayan. I was enthralled by the gardens, and the views outside made me weep. This beautiful circular glass room you can just sit comfortably in and view the gardens.
The swords looked so sharp and fierce.
My biggest surprise was the early Manga and political comics, astounding artwork setting the precedent for Anime today.
On the way back I wandered through the gardens and there was a children's book fair, so I could indulge in their cuteness, then I found a shrine, and homeless people living in the park. The mozzies were digging into me with ferocity at dusk; fat white blood, yum.
There was a stand selling octopus balls next to the station and I chomped down a half dozen of these delicious treats, covered with Bonito flakes. What I liked was the dried Bonito, when it comes in contact with the hot ball, it shakes and writhes, just like a real fish. Its as though it comes back to life.
Exhausted, I retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment